As we all know, we live in a time when we are encouraged to fight for everything. Being meek and gentle is not one of the best qualities that people look for in others. Our society struggles to accept the meek and gentle, but as Christians and disciples of Jesus we need to understand that being meek will bring wonderful results to our lives.
In this Beatitude Jesus makes clear about the result of being meek. Let us take a look.
3 – MEEKNESS WILL BE REWARDED BY GOD
Finally, we learn in this verse that there is a reward from God for those who are meek. There are two rewards for the meek:
“Matt. 5:5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.”
- They will be Blessed – The word we already saw. It means the spiritual blessings and happiness that come from God Himself. They are internal and spiritual.
- They will inherit the earth – The second thing that they will receive is the inheritance of the earth. What everybody fought for the meek will inherit.
- They will not need to fight for it – God Himself will give it to them.
- They will not receive it from the sinners – The sinners will not give the meek the earth. It is not the sinners who will give the earth to the meek, but God Himself.
- They will receive because it is their inheritance – It is part of the reward for belonging to the Kingdom of God and being poor in spirit, mourning, and being meek.
Now you can see how difficult this sermon is. God expects all of us to be meek, and gentle, to submit to Him and to others.
Even though we have the power to win and overcome, the gentleness that was planted in our hearts should take over and help us to be humble ourselves. Only in this way will we inherit the earth.
Look around, one day God Himself will restore this earth and He will give it to those who are meek.
This is what the psalmist has to say to us about the meek:
Psa. 37:7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Psa. 37:8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret — it leads only to evil.
Psa. 37:9 For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land.
Psa. 37:10 A little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look for them, they will not be found.
Psa. 37:11 But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy great peace.
Psa. 37:12 The wicked plot against the righteous and gnash their teeth at them;
Psa. 37:13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.
Have a blessed week,